AVP | June 5, 2019
The AVP is about to bake The Big Apple– bringing the Volleyball heat to the 2019 New York City Open. The third stop on the 2019 AVP tour lands on Gansevoort Peninsula in Hudson River Park on June 7th.
Besides being the only tournament played in the Eastern time zone, what is so awesome about watching the action in the nation’s most populous city? Let’s see. First, there’s the $300K in prize money at stake in the Gold Series. Then there’s the fantastic fan experience at the venue. That’s not even mentioning the great view along the Gansevoort Peninsula in NYC.
While the opening rounds begin on Friday, you can still catch Qualifying matches throughout the day on Thursday, June 6th. In Thursday’s Qualifying rounds, any team is allowed to sign up and compete, but only four squads will make it into Friday’s Main Draw. These matches can be tense — and, really, one more day of pro-level volleyball is always a good thing, if you ask us. The Qualifiers are open to the public, but no live scoring or livestreaming options are available for Thursday’s matches.
Come Friday, admission is also free (unless you want to pony up for VIP access tickets)! Which means, of course, that seating is on first-come, first-served basis. Add on top of that the venue isn’t exactly a wide open beach. So, spots can fill up quick.
Our advice: Give yourself a little extra time to cruise the Sponsor Village before the action starts.
Here’s the layout of the venue:
What’s happening at the Sponsor Village?
If you’re looking to soak in the full AVP NYC experience, here are a few of the things going down in Sponsor Village:
- Curious to see how durable JBL gear is? Will it still be able to blast tunes after getting dropped in water? See what happens around their product dunk tank! Who knows? If it’s hot enough this weekend, maybe you can dunk yourself. Be a part of their photo wall or just swing by, rock out, and take advantage of deals during the AVP weekend.
- Stop by the JEEP booth to check out the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Grab a cooling towel while you’re there to help escape the heat.
- Wilson has a ton going on this year, on-site in NYC. First, find their booth to grab free player cards of their sponsored AVP athletes (Casey Patterson, the McKibbins, Kelly Reeves, Tri Bourne, Irene Pollock, and Stafford Slick to name a few) then jump in the photo booth to be the star of your own player card! Don’t forget to sign your name on the 10-foot inflatable volleyball.
- Before leaving the Wilson booth, use their volleyball vending machines and customize your own AVP Official Game Ball (add your name or a phrase, whatever you can think of…within reason).
- What time is it? Time to check out Rockwell, maker of big, badass watches this weekend. Their booth will showcase their top-notch gear – including the brand spankin’ new special edition AVP branded watches.
- The AVP Kids’ Zone is a great way for kids of all ages (and kids at heart) to experience some good family fun. Climb the AVP Rock Wall, play a massive game of Soccer Darts and if you’re up for a challenge – take on The Toxic Drop Obstacle Course – an 88-foot inflatable challenge that you and your friends will love.
- You can bring your own food and drinks – minus the booze, thank you – but we will have you covered when do show up. Because of course, nothing beats a bit of beer out in the sun. Swing by the Giant Kona Oasis this weekend for a some liquid aloha. It’s a great place to buy ice cold beer or play some bar games in between matches.
Also, before we forget: A special thanks goes out to all our participating vendors and sponsors that make this event even possible.
Parking? What the hell are you talking about? This is NYC! There’s no event parking and your best bet for showing up is your favorite cab / ride-share / public transit option.
Awesome discounts for while you’re in town….
Look, this is NYC we’re talking about. There’s always something to do. At all hours. While we do offer a lot to do at the venue, we get it. You want to spread your wings a bit between matches.
Rather than limit ourselves to a handful of restaurant recommendations during your time in NYC, we have a better way to hook you up: Discounts around town!
Just CLICK THIS LINK and download this Delegate Discount Pass from NYCGo! It’s stuffed with places to go, and sites to see. Better yet, it’s got a ton of discount codes to save you a little cash this weekend. And, nice thing is that these codes are all valid through the end of June. So, if you’re in the tri-state area, enjoy the hook up! You’re welcome!
NYCGo is a great one-stop tourism stop before you hit town. Hell, even savvy New Yorkers know to hit up this site for the occasional bit of inside info on good deals. So keep tapped into the site – or download some of their handy app recommendations to your favorite phone (CLICK HERE FOR APP RECOMMENDATIONS).
And here’s some handy travel tips getting to (and around) NYC.
Out of Town? Watch from anywhere!
Not in the Tri-State area? Or unable to hang with us this weekend? No worries! You can watch all of the AVP action each day on Amazon Prime Video where we will be livestreaming three courts with on-court interviews, commentary & analysis from Kevin Barnett, Camryn Irwin & Dain Blanton, and exclusive athlete segments. You can also stay up-to-date with every match in real-time at AVP.com/Scoring.
Or, if you wanna catch it on TV, tune in to NBC on Sunday, June 9th at 1:30pm PT to witness the top beach volleyball athletes in the world battle it out in the finals LIVE!
Got more burning questions about what’s happening at the 2019 AVP NYC Open? We’ve got you covered right here.
Hey all you New Yorkers out there: We’d love to hear some of your recommendations for places you like in town. Let the debates for the best Pizza in Manhattan begin! Let us know on Twitter, FB and Instagram! We’re looking forward to hanging at your favorite joints this week.