When 4-time AVP champ Betsi Flint steps off the sand and into her kitchen she brings the same level of dedication that has led her to a successful career on the AVP as one of the top athletes. From starting her day with a breakfast fit for a world-class athlete to ending it with a dessert that no one could feel bad about diving into, Betsi has created a healthy diet that fuels her ability as a top-tier competitor.
Even if you can’t dig like her, you can now eat like her! Take a peek with us into a typical day of meals with Bets Flint.
Betsi begins her day with a strong foundation of eggs, sweet potatoes, sautéed bell peppers, and toast topped with a variety of delicious toppings that will satisfy the hungriest of morning folks.
- 2 eggs
- Sweet potatoes
- Sautéed bell peppers
- Toast with almond butter, blueberries, and local honey
To keep herself energized at mid-day, Betsi brings an Arugula Salad to the lunch table. However, this is no flimsy salad that will have you hungry for more, as it is jam-packed with a variety of hearty ingredients that will provide plenty of sustenance to last anyone through the rest of the day.
- Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage
- Fresh Mini Bell Peppers
- Sunflower Seeds
- Tossed in Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar
- Cracked “Everyday” Seasoning from Trader Joe’s
While snacking is often thought of as something you should not do, Betsi understands that providing your body with a stable supply of fuel throughout the day is necessary for any individual, especially a high-level athlete. In order to accomplish this, Betsi prepares a delicious Lentil and Salsa dip mixture that will curve the midday craving we all know so well. Betsi’s husband loves it, and they’ve been snacking on it while watching the NBA finals for a good source of protein and fiber!
- Mix a package of lentils and your favorite salsa – enjoy as a dip for tortilla chips, veggie chips, or even on top of a baked sweet potato!
After a long day, it can be very tempting to go for a quick and often not too healthy meal choice for dinner. However, Betsi loves to meal prep. Since she’s often on the run, she prefers to fix meals ahead of time, like this incredibly easy crockpot chicken teriyaki meal that can be prepared in the morning and ready to enjoy right when the dinner bell rings.
- In a crockpot add: Chicken & Soyaki Sauce (Trader Joe’s) on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add in veggies of choice – I chose corn and edamame this time.
- Put on top of a bed of rice!
Yes, dessert is often seen as something people should avoid, but this Chia Seed Pudding recipe developed by Betsi is one treat that no one will feel guilty about enjoying following dinner. The perfect way to end anyone’s day. Betsi preps this at the beginning of the week and dresses it up with toppings when she’s ready to satisfy her sweet tooth.
Roughly makes 4-6 servings
- 1 can of reduced fat coconut milk
- 6 Tbsp of Chia Seeds
- Add honey or stevia (sweetener of choice)
- Let it sit overnight
- When ready to eat, top with almond Butter, strawberries, dark chocolate chips, or any other healthy topping of your choice – Easy!
While you may not see the same kind of volleyball success that Betsi Flint has seen in her career, you definitely can enjoy all of the benefits her diet provides in making sure you have all of the healthy energy you need to tackle whatever challenges await you, on the beach or off!