Qualifier – 2 phases; Single Elimination (Tues-Wed)
- Phase 1 = TBD # of teams (Open Qualifier); Advances 16 teams per gender to Phase 2
– The Open qualifier is played by any teams from USA and joined by other registered international teams.
– A registration fee of $200 per team shall be paid by 10 days prior to the event (April 22nd, 2018). Payment link will be sent to teams once their paperwork is completed. Teams that fail to pay in due time will be excluded from the tournament.
- Phase 2 = 48 teams per gender (with 32 direct vacancies of international players respecting max FIVB country quota plus 16 teams advancing from phase 1); Advances 8 teams to Main Draw
Main Draw – 48 teams per gender; Double Elimination (Thurs-Sun)
Entry will be the following:
- Twenty-three (23) international teams as determined by FIVB Entry Points;
- Fifteen (15) domestic teams in which both players on the team have the United States as their Federation of Origin, entry determined by FIVB Entry Points; if team has “0” FIVB entry points, then AVP entry Points will be used.
- Eight (8) teams qualified through the qualification tournament
- Two (2) wild card teams: one selected by FIVB and one selected by AVP/USAV and approved by FIVB
Entry deadline: April 1st, 2018 (-30 days)
Confirmed Entry List: April 11th, 2018 (-21 days)
Phase 1 of Qualifier Payment deadline: April 22nd, 2018 (-10 days)
Seeding for both the qualifier and main draw will be determined by FIVB Seeding Points, again if team has “0” FIVB seeding points, then AVP Ranking Points will be used.
Who gets Ranking Points
- International teams earn FIVB applicable ranking points based on finish (breakdown of FIVB ranking Points attached).
- The top 6 USA teams per gender earn FIVB applicable ranking points based on finish.
o Any USA team that finishes lower than the top 6 USA teams per gender will not earn FIVB ranking points.
- Anyone (international or USA) that is an AVP Member will earn AVP applicable points based on this schedule for a $300, 000 event.
- FIVB and AVP ranking points obtained from Huntington Beach 4-star will only be calculated for entry and seeding purpose if they will be beneficial for the player (i.e. improve the teams’ entry and seeding points).
- Athletes register through their respective National Federations similar to other FIVB competitions.
o You will receive a follow-up email from USA Volleyball staff regarding next steps.
o NOTE: You will need a passport and must be eligible to compete for your respective country per FIVB regulations here.
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO COMPLETE ALL NECESSARY STEPS & PAPERWORK!